Thread: Been Taking a While

I take it the hack caused a lot of damage for it to take this long.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    No chit....I say we put him on the payroll if he's that good! lol

Nice to see you here btw.

Must be scrubbing those DBs within an inch of their lives...

Hola & bienvenidos!

I could just *kiss* your promiscuous mind

I don't keep a lot of secrets
    The ones I do will die with me
    It's not because I'm hiding something
    A trusted friend I try to be

Verified Hobbyist BCD Slowhanz57's Avatar
    It always takes longer to clean up from a mess than it does to make it. Not only do all the data files have to be checked for integrity, but all system files as well. They have to be checksummed to assure that they have not been changed in any way. Every system file has to be checked to make sure that it 'belongs' and that it, itself, is not land mine waiting to go off. Even if one is only rebuilding a server, it takes quite a while just to install all current system security-related patches, since on a server, they are not the download, run and done type as they are on your personal boxes. Lots of server system patches are registry edits that have to be done manually. There's also been much talk about the customization that made ASPD what it was. If the nature of those customizations wasn't documented, or wasn't documented properly, then whoever's been brought in to clean up the mess will have to examine those customizations until they themselves understand them, and are able to determine how to apply it to the new box. It takes as long as it takes. Done right, it's a good thing. Done wrong, and we're right back where we started in short order. Like my grandaddy used to say "Good, cheap, fast... Pick any two." ;)

Regards,
    According to the multiverse theory there exists an alternate universe where I have the body of a Greek god, I'm filthy rich, have a magnetic personality, and women adore me for more than an hour at a time. I must find that universe, go there, kill that guy and take his place.

Thanks, WTF

I'd dread going through the sea of data files.