Back to the economic impact...

While picking up my lunch I listened to a local restaurant/food scene podcast. Man, was that ever gloomy!

Guest restauranteur shared that his business is running at 4.5% of normal. He has resorted to selling food stores as is so it stays fresh and cash flows-just sold 50 pound box of potatoes to some guy. He sounded nervous but determined. His expectation is that about 70% of local restaurants will shutter for good...they do not have resources to hold out. Which leaves national chains and some of the local multi-store operations (many of which are consolidating their operations into 1 or 2 stores to keep variable costs down). He was convinced the food scene will get wiped out if things do not change in 2-4 weeks. He also noted they had 24 hours to close seating areas but it will take longer to ramp back up. Many of staff are going to places that are hiring, such as HEB or Walmart. Expect delays as restaurants re-staff, train, etc.

Fun Fact: food delivery apps have cut out delivery charge to customer, but still charging restaurant 30% of ticket. While we are still allowed to go out to get food perhaps get pick up or restaurant delivery instead of DoorDash, etc. If you are comfortable go in person, tip, show the appreciation and save your faves.

Fun Fact 2: couple in front of me ordered their food and pointed at the benches outside and asked if they could eat there. They were informed that if the City caught them the restaurant gets fined $500,000.00. That was news to me...that is one way to ensure compliance.

Please remember, if things are this dire to places allowed to run minimal operations, imagine what it is doing to those that cannot open, like dry cleaners and other service industries.