Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
Sorry, but you guys are wrong about this. If you are using a reputable VPN that doesn't keep logs, your real IP is not identifiable from the far side (they can't track it back to you if they don't already know who you are).

There are other ways of identifying you (using so-called "browser fingerprints"), but there are some simple precautions you can take to eliminate those concerns (such as blocking scripts and using a dedicated browser in incognito mode for hobby browsing).

And if they're already targeting you for some reason, then don't worry about the VPN because you're already screwed.

I can tell you feel pretty strong about that but what I stated is entirely accurate. Your IP address is not just a fart in the wind just because you used a reputable VPN or proxy or any other variation of the sort. Incognito mode doesn’t protect you from the law either. These things will keep you safe from somebody who isn’t well versed in the digital world but that is about it. I find it interesting some people think they have the world of crime figured out, please contact all the crime syndicates to let them know you can keep them protected from the law by hiding behind VPNs, I’m sure they will be quite ecstatic and provide you with enormous amounts of cash. Don’t forget to reach out to everyone in China that has their internet locked down to let them know you have the key to their freedom with just a few clicks.

You can get people into serious legal trouble by spreading misinformation should they decide to believe you and follow it. If VPN hid you perfectly then it wouldn’t matter if the law was targeting you, you essentially contradicted yourself in your own statement.