Thread: Bitcoin.....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Verified Hobbyist BCD
    The digital USD and bitcoin are not even remotely the same thing. Bitcoin is valued, as a ratio/exchange, against the dollar as is much like it is against the Yen or Euro, etc. Much like the same way your house is valued against the USD. It's just a ratio/exchange, not synonymous. Whether it's the digital dollar tracked by blockchain, a digital trace via credit/debit card, or cash from your ATM. When the digital dollar gets introduced, how does that change anything? It's no different than paying for something digitally now via cards. Just there'll be a ledger/blockchain to see mass transactions. It does not change the relationship of bitcoin against it. When the digital dollar gets introduced, how much is $1 USD worth now? Still 1 dollar, lol. The fact that's the underlying notion of the argument shows how little you actually know, it's like saying house prices now all of a sudden are going to be valued off a different metric when the digital dollar is introduced. A digital dollar= real life paper dollar. It's all the same thing.

Bitcoin is digital property, it's more akin to you buying intellectual property or patent than it is USD. It's a store of value, not a means of transaction. Per usual, Ben's completely off base with his view of 'trading' it-- I don't trade, I store it. And define short-term, been hearing that for quite sometime and we are on year 15 and I am on year 14 of owning it. Most investable assets tenure should be that 7-15 year horizon to appreciate and capitalize on gains, yet I feel for some reason the best has yet to come. Maybe because we're entering more and more mass adoption?

The digital USD, and real paper USD, is backed by absolutely nothing. And calling it the most stable platform in the world is comical; it's like saying the least fattest person in the Biggest Loser is in shape relative to their peers. You're right, but it's kind of a farce. The most stable platform to invest in the world is a hard asset in the least controlling & least regulated countries-- America, Switzerland, Monaco, or an in universal, non-centralized form. Go find out where there is a singular asset that is in the latter form. I'll give you a hint-- there's only one.

America cannot ban bitcoin-- they can regulate, tax, and control the underlying exchanges and have already done that see binance & FTX. But at this point, they cannot ban it and even previously viewed it as just what I aforementioned-- digital property in the eyes of our lovely IRS. There's no such thing as "US Crypto", it's simply crypto as it is global. Then there's bitcoin, go check the instruments made for bitcoin to have it exposed into portfolios. It's undeniable at this time with global rates as high as possible, that a country with deep currency risk will adopt it as a reserve asset besides El Salvador. I suspect Egypt, but maybe Russia.

The only point I do agree with-- do not invest more than you can afford to lose. But that applies with real estate, stocks, bonds or other fixed income, etc., so that's general recommendation. This thread, in itself, should give you a lot of color on it. It's been a long time coming with ups & downs, yet the prevailing arguments haven't changed.
    Last edited by pumpernickel; 03-18-2024 at 08:49 PM.