There are no travel agencies anymore. There are plenty of plane / car / hotel booking sites that make a percentage off what you pay. Japan and Germany have licensed and inspected B&B's (one on the outskirts of a major city not far from a commuter rail line is the way to go).

Oh, and check the State Department's Travel Advisory web site - chances are if there's some sketchy stuff going on (kidnapping for ransom, antifreeze mixed into fruity cocktails, stolen passports / forced prostitution) they won't say. Best way to find out is if you know some (trusted) US military personnel stationed there. I wouldn't go to any Latin America country right now - your passport will be stolen and Greg Abbott / Ted Cruz / Ron DeSantis won't let you back into the country!

It's Oh! Canada! and the EU for this globetrotting traveler!

P.S.: Just went online to renew my passport this morning. 1. No online renewals are being accepted, and 2. State Department is saying THREE MONTHS backlog to renew! Gotta make sure my passport is good in case I see white people running south across the Rio Grande to find a better life - that is called a CLUE and it's time to pop smoke and exfil to friendlier shores!