Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best Mexican restaurant

Verified Companion Companion Sue Nami's Avatar

best Mexican restaurant

ok we can get into the discussion of tex-mex vs interior mex but let's cover them all. what are your fave Mexican food restaurants in Austin? I love Amayas, El Jacalito, Los Lomas to name a few. and let's name our favorites long gone places... Inocentes on Cesar Chavez and El Azteca are sorely missed

Busty, Sexy, Mature and into YOUR pleasure
    FBSM 140 Hh, 200 Hr / FETISH 160Hh, 240Hr

512-784-5951 sue_nami@protonmail.com
    Mon-Wed 10-7pm, Thrs 10-9pm, Fri-Sat 10-4pm (later by appt).
    off Sundays (maybe w/ advance notice)

I'm fully vaccinated, you be too.
    If you're anti-vax, we're not a good match!

due to new permitless carry law> NO GUNS ALLOWED
    READ THIS REVIEW> https://home.ourhome2.net/showthread...t=fucking+nami

Verified Hobbyist BCD Lovinglifeinaustin's Avatar
    Flores…the happiest place on earth.

I still love Chuys, though they are not as good post Covid.

Matts El Rancho, love their rellenos.

Hula Hut, Maudie’s, Polvos, Curra’s, Baby A’s, Santa Rita, Guerros, Trudy’s, Serrano’s, Torchy’s

Anywhere that serves real horchata.

I miss Compadres.

There was a place on east 7th many years ago that I liked, but cannot now remember their name.

Dammit now I’m hungry.

James
    Loving life in Austin

Verified Companion Companion Sue Nami's Avatar
    that was El Azteca on east 7th, it had Mexican pin up style Aztec calendars on the wall. Unlike most places, they had cabrito on the menu and a large vegetarian menu too. they gave u a free Mexican cookie or sherbet for dessert. they were soooooo great

Busty, Sexy, Mature and into YOUR pleasure
    FBSM 140 Hh, 200 Hr / FETISH 160Hh, 240Hr

512-784-5951 sue_nami@protonmail.com
    Mon-Wed 10-7pm, Thrs 10-9pm, Fri-Sat 10-4pm (later by appt).
    off Sundays (maybe w/ advance notice)

I'm fully vaccinated, you be too.
    If you're anti-vax, we're not a good match!

due to new permitless carry law> NO GUNS ALLOWED
    READ THIS REVIEW> https://home.ourhome2.net/showthread...t=fucking+nami

Verified Hobbyist BCD Groovy Johnson's Avatar
    El Azteca was my favorite.

Now it's Vera Cruz.
    Vaccinated
    Vajitarian

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Fonda San Miguel - interior Mexican, beautiful place, great food, best in Austin, imo

Matt's El Rancho - long time Austin old school Mexican restaurant, great food, love their margarita's with freshly squeezed limes.

El Patio - another long time family owned restaurant, small place but good food.

Texican Cafe - nice place good food, one of the only places I found that serves cabrito

Flores - good food but interior is nothing fancy

Papasitos - some may think it is touristy but I've always had very good meals and service there, fresh tortillas, table side guacamole

Amaya's - good food, good salsa, good reasonably priced breakfast as well as lunch & dinner, but can get crowded and not much atmosphere

I miss Antonio's - best tortilla soup I ever had, no other place comes close, they gave you home made creamy mints, different flavors, it was a perfect way to end a meal. God I miss that place.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Even though its a chain, I'm fond of Lupe Tortillas in Arbor Walk over off of Mopac. Not bad a all for chain Tex-mex. They have very large portions as well, and their salsa is an interesting variation.
    "You live only a few more years. You die alone. Unmourned. And unloved......Suffering? Suffering you'll have no trouble doing. And if you are ever tempted...EVER... to consider your suffering unjustified, just remember your second marriage."
    Cerebus

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    VAQUEROS CAFE & CANTINA - WESTLAKE
    1801 S Capital of Texas Hwy
    Austin, TX 78746

Owned by the Steiner Ranch Steak House people

HUGE portions
    Free soft serve ice cream
    Nuff said

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    In addition to all of the above, I like Las Palomas, tucked away in the corner of the West Woods Shopping Center. Shout-out to Manuels in the Arboretum, too.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    + 1000 on Fonda San Miguel. That is as authentic interior Mexican as it will get. It’s a fine restaurant. Used to frequent Casa Garcia on North Austin on Pecan Street, the interior is nice but the food, to my opinion, declined some.

La Mancha (close to Fonda San Miguel location-wise) is also a good place. It’s more Tex-mex than authentic but it is pretty good.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Lots of good places above.

No one has mentioned Tamale House yet.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Hey, Gang!
    What about Taco Bell? ;-)

*dodges thrown shoe*

Edit: Kidding aside, my late first wife was a big fan of El Chicos. I would not put them into the same category most restaurants that have been named here. But some fond memories of going there with her about once a month in the late '90s. She was a big fan of their chimichangas.
    Last edited by Cuirassier1812; 03-31-2024 at 12:29 AM.
    "You live only a few more years. You die alone. Unmourned. And unloved......Suffering? Suffering you'll have no trouble doing. And if you are ever tempted...EVER... to consider your suffering unjustified, just remember your second marriage."
    Cerebus

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Lots of good ones already mentioned.

Here are few others.

Enchiladas y Mas on Anderson is good.
    Habaneros on Oltorf.
    La Traila on Burnet. This is a trailer in the parking lot of gas station on Burnet. Think they have a few around town.

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    Some friends took me to Eldorado Cafe the last time I was down there several months ago. I found everything to be really good there.

Verified Hobbyist BCD risn2theoccasion2's Avatar
    I’ve always preferred Amaya’s Taco Village, but they have really raised prices during the current economic crisis. It’s hard to justify $17 to $19 a plate. Pretty sure their choice of real estate for their locations doesn’t help.

Now my go to is Casa Garcia’s.
    Ask about any of my past encounters.

Rudeness is the weak persons imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer

Supporting selfish people is a waste of time and energy! They will always find an excuse to blame you for their own mistakes!
    ― Lily Amis

As you proceed through life, following your own path, birds will shit on you. Dont bother to brush it off. Getting a comedic view of your situation gives you spiritual distance. Having a sense of humor saves you.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by GreysonTCU View Post
    Some friends took me to Eldorado Cafe the last time I was down there several months ago. I found everything to be really good there.
    +1 El Dorado is another good one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast