Thread: PSA on Passwords

Registered Male (Not Verified)

PSA on Passwords

Hya y'all, thought I'd share a 'pro tip' on passwords. If you're concerned about your credentials being compromised and bought/sold on the Dark Web, include a comma in your password. Why? These files of credentials are stored in what is called Comma Separated Value format (example.csv). These are organized in columns, with the information separated by commas. Example below:

Userid, password, date_stolen
    JillydillyfromPhilly,Password1234,03/01/2024

This reads as the userid is JillydillyfromPhilly, her password is "Password1234", and the date stolen was March 1 of this year.

When you include a comma in your password, it screws up that record and the information becomes useless. Say that JillydillyfromPhilly changes her password to "Password1,234". If her credentials are hacked, the file would read

JillydillyfromPhilly,Password1,234,03/01/2024 and be interpreted as

Userid=JillydillyfromPhilly, password="Password1", and date stolen is now garbage.

See how that works?

You're welcome. Stay safe online!

-p

Verified Hobbyist BCD Transylvania Count's Avatar
    If only it were that simple.

Commas are easily stored in CSV files by using quotes. In your example above, that information would be stored like this:
    JillydillyfromPhilly,"Password1,234",03/01/2024
    Vaccinated and boosted. Drama and disease free.
    ZERO sperm count and bullshit tolerance. Married, and here with permission.
    Do not treat me like an ATM and I will not treat you like a mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by Transylvania Count View Post
    If only it were that simple.

Commas are easily stored in CSV files by using quotes. In your example above, that information would be stored like this:
    JillydillyfromPhilly,"Password1,234",03/01/2024
    Yes, true, but not everyone knows to do that. It's still a good practice, albeit not foolproof.

A better practice is to use different complex passwords for every site and change them often. If you use the same password and email everywhere, your accounts are only as secure as the least secure site. I'd recommend a password manager like 1password, last pass, bit warden, etc to manage a password list.

Using a special character in a password is a good idea, but I don't see a comma doing much since as mentioned text qualifiers are a pretty standard practice.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Lovinglifeinaustin's Avatar
    Use long pass phrases with special characters.

Check out this chart that shows how long it takes a computer program to crack passwords.

IMG_3863.png

We can buy password cracker apps off the interwebz. I bought one last year to recover a file whose password I had forgotten. Did not take long.

James
    Loving life in Austin

That's scary.

Always searching for UTR redheads, hot chocolattes & my next cuppa purrfect java
    Adding a bit to the above …

Consider 2FA in your vital accounts meaning the site sends a text message link to your phone (assuming you control that device) or to your secret non public email.

Best if your login is not your visible handle.

Also valuable is the site always sends you a message noting your login and also displays your last login. Site notifies you failed password attempts, addy changes and other account activity.

Always best practice to have backup accounts unknown to public’s.

There are additional security methods and
    LINK! oh2 current situation report

In these trying times, your patience and support are greatly appreciated. Stay safe out there!

= = = = =

Beating the review template gremlin! LINK

https://home.ourhome2.net/vb/showthr...e-Verification for hobbyists

IMPORTANT! LINK TO NOTICES

FAQ: OH2's RULES! A Quick Read

2024 Austin/San Antonio Meet & Greets
    Austin - Wednesday March 27
    San Antonio - April TBA

===> LINK: INVITATION RULES <===

Ladies, please note:
    --
    ck1942 doesn't vouch for hobbyists.
    -- "Verified hobbyist" is only a title; he should always be screened/vouched
    -- Very aware hobbyists always start a contact process by sending a PM before sending any texts!

Verified Companion Companion petiteplsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ck1942 View Post
    Adding a bit to the above …

Consider 2FA in your vital accounts meaning the site sends a text message link to your phone (assuming you control that device) or to your secret non public email.

Best if your login is not your visible handle.

Also valuable is the site always sends you a message noting your login and also displays your last login. Site notifies you failed password attempts, addy changes and other account activity.

Always best practice to have backup accounts unknown to public’s.

There are additional security methods and
    I really don’t what else to say about this. Did you kinda just find a way to bash/ complain about this website and then, post it in Co-ed. In all years , that I have been on oh2, I have helped two different members get their password reset/ changed. So, they could get back onto login into their account after an attack. Oh, and one other thing, not to go off topic. ! Please don’t respond to this by complaining about this comment I just wrote because I won’t be making another comment on this thread. Also, because everything I wrote here is true. Ck, hi there ! Would you please close this thread when you get a chance. Hope it is soon. :)
    For when only the best will do

Text me at 210-429-6537 and please include handle when texting; please be prepared to be AsKed to PM
    No BBFS NO MEN Under 25, Greek (my discretion on size) - 2nd or 3rd date request. Check Bio in my profile & 100+ reviews (OH2 & Eccie)
    Due to my petite frame, I cannot see men over 7 3/4 inches in length, I won’t turn u down if u at 7 3/4 inches length, Don’t hesitate unless over 7 3/4 inches in length.