Quote Originally Posted by whatdoIknow3 View Post
That doesn't affect value of the dollar as all governments around the world are doing the same thing. So, dollar will stay strong. In fact dollar might get stronger as when crisis hits the world, US is the safe refuge.

Only consequence of this is, stock market will rise as there will be too much dollar floating around, which is good for everyone.
While I do not necessarily disagree with either of your conclusions I think your foundational statements are misguided. I agree the USA is historically a safe haven, but that has been with respect to geopolitical conflict. Cuban missile crisis, Arab/Israeli wars, Iraq. This is a medical crisis. The numbers suggest we are losing vis-a-vis our peers...higher infection numbers, etc. I am more cautious about concluding because we are better in one type of crisis that we are therefore better in a different type of crisis. Put simply, I don't believe Usain Bolt won a marathon or Kenyan marathon runners won sprints...

Except for pure day trading the stock market is not a vehicle for short-term gains and isn't a bellwether for the overall economy. Yes, there is pent up capital now, and it will go into the stock market. That will initially drive the bid/ask up overall. But that is only good for people who made good investments. A TON of money went into dot.com industry. The Google and Apple buyers did just fine, but far more got wiped out. Pretty sure there are people in this town who still have shares of Enron sitting in their portfolio. I would be careful putting too much meaning in the initial surge of investment; the real impact will be a few years down the road when it is clear if it was wisely invested or not.