HoustonDan,
My 2 cents for what its worth. I have homes in San Antonio, Houston and Monterrey.
- avoid border towns at all cost. unless you really want to risk your life, be opened up to extortion, etc... They are all controlled by cartels on both sides, so just avoid.
- Monterrey is heaven. You can fly on Viva Aerobus direct for about $300, hotels in San Pedro are recommended, great shopping, food, great bar scenes, etc...
- A US car may not pass 25 KM beyond Nuevo Laredo on the Mexico side. There is a checkpoint that turns you around, so you won't be able to get to Monterrey driving. You can turn around and go to CITEV in Nuevo Laredo to get a foreign car permit. You must have registration handy, spend about $500 and 3-5 hours....Ive done it and do not suggest it. US Plates make you are a target for bad guys, mostly police, who will pull you over and drive you from ATM to ATM to max out your withdrawls.
- in MTY use Lucesazules.net and Twitter...I have not had good luck with other search engines online but maybe just bad luck. Avoid Alicias Dollhouse. Strip Clubs are amazing. I have a bunch of reviews on Eccie detaiing all the fun to be had and where. I can't seem to get verified her for some reason.
- If you need some names from Twitter I can help, send me a PM.

Really suggest you fly vs drive, be safe and have an amazing couple of days in San Pedro Garza Garcia, Live Aqua, Real Inn/Camino Real, Westin....all located at very nice Mall's with food and bars and meet your 'date' down in the mall and bring her up. Also of note, when booking a room, make it for 2 adults.

Happy hunting!