Thread: Subject: CLUNKER MATH

Retired Administrator
    Think of it this way:

A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year.

A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year..

So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction should have reduced US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claimed 700,000 vehicles so that's 224 million gallons saved per year.

That equated to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.

More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars.

So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.

That means we spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved.

And red mccombs, Tom benson, and all the other self-made millionairres want all of the rest of us to know it really worked for them.

Flood up, trickle down economics.
    Opinions and Assholes. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference - especially when you can't separate the two.

Not to mention fucked up the auto makers recovery by killing sales in the 4th qtr. Way to go!

Today? IN eneral? Damn Houston most of the time
    I am in the market for a new vehicle.
    I want to buy a SUV but one that gets decent gas mileage. I dont really need to tow anything with it or haul a lot of weight but i want the room, comfort, and visibility that the SUV offers.

I have a Tahoe with damn near 175k miles and I will keep it for my tow vehicle when meeded plus i have my company truck. The problem is finding a vehicle that is big enough with enough power to get out of its own way yet gets decent mileage and doesnt cost as much as my house to buy.

I would prefer an American made SUV but there really are no good deals out there right now and the inventory sucks. Even the Toyotas inventory sucks for the ones i would be interested in.. I really dont want a Chryselr product since there is no telling if they will stay in business, then there is GM which I opposed the bail-out that didnt do anything and they filed for bankruptcy anyeaay which they should have done in the first place but buying GM could help the country out but what has been done is done.

I guess I will just hang on to my cash for now. I would consider ordering a vehicle IF they would get real on the price.

Any suggestions out there.

Retired Administrator
    I just bought a 2010 MB ML 350 (traded in my 2008 Tundra)

haven't had an American car at our house since the 70s......

I keep telling my SO that all she needs is transportation and the least expensive most fuel sipping would be all she needs but she aint going for it.

Verified Hobbyist BCD GneissGuy's Avatar
    Don't forget to check out the Texas Air Check program. In some cases, you can get up to $3500 to replace your vehicle. Needs to be 10 years old, or have failed an emissions check, and you have to be low income. You can buy a new car or up to 3 years old. Applies to certain counties around Austin, Houston, or Dallas.

You have to apply for the voucher ahead of time.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GneissGuy @ Jan 21 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Don&#39;t forget to check out the Texas Air Check program. In some cases, you can get up to $3500 to replace your vehicle. Needs to be 10 years old, or have failed an emissions check, and you have to be low income. You can buy a new car or up to 3 years old. Applies to certain counties around Austin, Houston, or Dallas.

You have to apply for the voucher ahead of time.[/b]
    Does that air check program apply to vehicle purchased in the last 60 days?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rakhir @ Jan 21 2010, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Does that air check program apply to vehicle purchased in the last 60 days?[/b]
    No, and you have to apply and get a voucher first. Maybe two weeks ahead of time.

Check their web site.

http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/implementation...driveclean.html
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

That sucks... I just purchased a new vehicle.

I am one of those sorry ass capitalists that works hard, invests, and has partial ownership in my company so I get fucked when it come to any special deals like that.

Let me have a durable vehicle with a great sound system and I am happy. I prefer cloth seats to leather, dont nee a camera to help me back up, dont need DVDs in the back. Oh yeahmust have a great A/C.

The other thing is the passenger seat since I dont drive when my SO is with me.

I am going to the car show and check them out at the end of Jan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2Dogs @ Jan 20 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I am in the market for a new vehicle.
    I want to buy a SUV but one that gets decent gas mileage. I dont really need to tow anything with it or haul a lot of weight but i want the room, comfort, and visibility that the SUV offers.

I have a Tahoe with damn near 175k miles and I will keep it for my tow vehicle when meeded plus i have my company truck. The problem is finding a vehicle that is big enough with enough power to get out of its own way yet gets decent mileage and doesnt cost as much as my house to buy.

I would prefer an American made SUV but there really are no good deals out there right now and the inventory sucks. Even the Toyotas inventory sucks for the ones i would be interested in.. I really dont want a Chryselr product since there is no telling if they will stay in business, then there is GM which I opposed the bail-out that didnt do anything and they filed for bankruptcy anyeaay which they should have done in the first place but buying GM could help the country out but what has been done is done.

I guess I will just hang on to my cash for now. I would consider ordering a vehicle IF they would get real on the price.

Any suggestions out there.[/b]
    Depends how much you want to spend. The Ford Escape Hybrid is a quick answer to domestic SUV with reasonable MPG, but you are looking at about $32k. Other than that, the Chevy Equinox and Terrain have received OK write-ups. These run mid 20&#39;s. Lastly a Chrysler product in the Jeep Patriot Sport, you can get under 20k.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2Dogs @ Jan 22 2010, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Let me have a durable vehicle with a great sound system and I am happy. I prefer cloth seats to leather, dont nee a camera to help me back up, dont need DVDs in the back. Oh yeahmust have a great A/C.

The other thing is the passenger seat since I dont drive when my SO is with me.[/b]
    Amen brother. Give me something simple. Room in the engine compartment so you can fix it. Reliable components. Enough power to drive OK. Standard size hole in the dashboard to mount a fancy sound system if I want to. Reasonable gas mileage.

Never happen. Sheeple in America buy sizzle, not steak.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

Governmental Engineering never works, another failed Obamanation!

Of all the vehicles I have owned the Chevy Tahoe has been by far the best if I dont count the 1978 Plymouth I once had but it only had 250 air and no sound system. It did have an enourmous back seat like a sofa in your iving room which i called the mayflower because there was a whole lot that came across on it.

I will more than likely end up with the Equinox or the Terrain. Considered some Toota products but since the run=away acceleration issue I am sterring clear of them. Having been a mechanic in my earlier years I really do not think this is a sticking gas pedal issue or a floor mat issue but something else completely. I am not sure if the recalled vehicles have electronic throttle control or if there is a direct linkage / cable. Either way they know it is a big issue since they stopped selling most of the vehicles with a few exceptions. Makes you wonder if this issue will carry over to Lexus or not.

Is the Geo Metro stilll around.............