Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fur coat and no knickers

In England, we have a saying "Fur coat and no knickers."
    In general, it relates to someone talking the talk but not walking the walk, though this is more directly related to material issues.
    We also say "All cheque book and no account" obviously related to finances.
    I know, I know...we're very cheeky aren't we ? :P

Soooo...when I was in Dallas last week, I hear they use the phrase "All hat and no cattle."
    I love it!!! :P
    I want more!!!!

So don't be shy...share some more similar phrases...I've got my notebook at the ready :blink:

CoB

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobody is watching" Satchel Paige

" Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away" anonymous

Well Miss Camille, I don't know any more along the same meaning as "All hat and no cattle" but here are some other folksy sayings from Texas and beyond.
    -----------------
    The engine's runnin' but ain't nobody driving. (Not overly-intelligent)

As welcome as a skunk at a lawn party. (self-explanatory)

Tighter than bark on a tree. (Not very generous)

We've howdy'd but we ain't shook yet. (We've made a brief acquaintance, but not been
    formally introduced)

He thinks the sun come up just to hear him crow. (He has a pretty high opinion of himself)

She's got tongue enough for 10 rows of teeth. (That woman can talk)

It's so dry the trees are bribin' the dogs. (We really could use a little rain around here)

Just because a chicken has wings doesn't mean it can fly. (Appearances can be deceptive)

This ain't my first rodeo. (I've been around awhile)

He looks like the dog's been keepin' him under the porch. (Not the most handsome of men)

They ate supper before they said grace. (Living in sin)

Time to paint your butt and run with the antelope. (Stop arguing and do as you're told)

As full of wind as a corn-eating horse. (Rather prone to boasting)

You can put your boots in the oven, but that doesn't make them biscuits. (You can say whatever you want about something, but that doesn't change what it is.)

Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance. (The results of an action may not always be becuase of the action.)
    ---------------------
    That's just a few for now but you know a guy like me has a bunch of 'em...lol.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Either, Chit or get off the pot!...(Hurry the frik up MoFo)

To stay in tune here are a few more Chameleon opp's ....Camille (as you can see I'm not as cultured as RK)

Shit for brains

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...shit-for-brains

Shit flinging monkey

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...flinging-monkey

Shit outta luck

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...hit-out-of-luck

shit damn fuc

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...0damn%2C%20fuck

Shit you not

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...hit%20you%20not

I don't have a dog in the fight. (I don't join in an argument because I didn't have a stake in it.)

Hobby Addict
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Mar 29 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Well Miss Camille, I don&#39;t know any more along the same meaning as "All hat and no cattle" but here are some other folksy sayings from Texas and beyond.
    -----------------
    The engine&#39;s runnin&#39; but ain&#39;t nobody driving. (Not overly-intelligent)

As welcome as a skunk at a lawn party. (self-explanatory)

We&#39;ve howdy&#39;d but we ain&#39;t shook yet. (We&#39;ve made a brief acquaintance, but not been
    formally introduced)

He thinks the sun come up just to hear him crow. (He has a pretty high opinion of himself)

She&#39;s got tongue enough for 10 rows of teeth. (That woman can talk)

It&#39;s so dry the trees are bribin&#39; the dogs. (We really could use a little rain around here)

Just because a chicken has wings doesn&#39;t mean it can fly. (Appearances can be deceptive)

This ain&#39;t my first rodeo. (I&#39;ve been around awhile)

He looks like the dog&#39;s been keepin&#39; him under the porch. (Not the most handsome of men)

Time to paint your butt and run with the antelope. (Stop arguing and do as you&#39;re told)

As full of wind as a corn-eating horse. (Rather prone to boasting)

You can put your boots in the oven, but that doesn&#39;t make them biscuits. (You can say whatever you want about something, but that doesn&#39;t change what it is.)

Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance. (The results of an action may not always be becuase of the action.)
    ---------------------
    That&#39;s just a few for now but you know a guy like me has a bunch of &#39;em...lol.[/b]
    impressive list!

Verified Companion Companion Ansley Ayers's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (atlcomedy @ Mar 29 2009, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    impressive list![/b]
    That dog will hunt! (that works, or I agree) If you are speaking with a southern drawl, will would be pronounced ull.
    :)
    <span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">~Ansley~</span>
    There is a fine line between having a good time and being a wanton slut. I know. My toe has been on that line.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ansley Ayers @ Mar 29 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    That dog will hunt! (that works, or I agree) If you are speaking with a southern drawl, will would be pronounced ull.
    :)[/b]
    will would?? &#39;&#39;That dog&#39;ll hunt&#39;&#39; is how we write that down yonder ways. Speaking of dog&#39;s and staying on my caca name that tune, how about-

dog caca taco

your breath smells like you ate a dog shit taco ....of course you can only tell people ya luv that!

When someone does something completely off the wall we say:

He&#39;s obviously batting from a few fields away.

It also applies to someone who is hitting on a person that is much too attractive for them. I think it&#39;s a hilarious term.
    Besos,

Audra Baron

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    A few describing the not so bright...

A few bricks short of a load

Not playing with a full deck

The gas tank&#39;s on empty

Was standing in line for brains..thought they said trains...said i&#39;ll take a slow one

Elevator doesn&#39;t reach the top floor

Lights are on but nobody&#39;s home

BYD

Aggieland - But here and there also, ASPD Member since 2000
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Yak Daddy @ Mar 30 2009, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Was standing in line for brains..thought they said trains...said i&#39;ll take a slow one

BYD[/b]

Some similar version....

Was standing in line for brains, thought they said rain and ran for cover.

Been known as not the sharpness knife in the drawer.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Woody your avatair reminds me of one I heard awhile back...peckercide.

Clinton, Spitizer and Edwards all committed Peckercide! lol

Verified Hobbyist
    He lets his alligator mouth get his hummingbird butt in trouble.
    When your up to your ass in alligators, it&#39;s hard to remember your goal was to drain the swamp.

Verified Companion Companion Ansley Ayers's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTF @ Mar 29 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    will would?? &#39;&#39;That dog&#39;ll hunt&#39;&#39; is how we write that down yonder ways.[/b]
    I never thought I would be taking spelling tips from you, but I guess you are right.
    <span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">~Ansley~</span>
    There is a fine line between having a good time and being a wanton slut. I know. My toe has been on that line.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Mar 29 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Well Miss Camille, I don&#39;t know any more along the same meaning as "All hat and no cattle" but here are some other folksy sayings from Texas and beyond.
    -----------------

We&#39;ve howdy&#39;d but we ain&#39;t shook yet. (We&#39;ve made a brief acquaintance, but not been
    formally introduced)

She&#39;s got tongue enough for 10 rows of teeth. (That woman can talk)

This ain&#39;t my first rodeo. (I&#39;ve been around awhile)

Time to paint your butt and run with the antelope. (Stop arguing and do as you&#39;re told)

---------------------
    That&#39;s just a few for now but you know a guy like me has a bunch of &#39;em...lol.[/b]
    These are my favorites. I&#39;m going out with friends this evening and I&#39;m going to try and use every one of these
    I&#39;d never heard the phrase "Tall drink of water" until I came to the States either. Love it!

Can someone please turn the rain off? I&#39;m in a perpetual state of homesickness because I feel as though I&#39;m back in England :P

CoB x

"Work like you don&#39;t need the money, love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobody is watching" Satchel Paige

" Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away" anonymous

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Yak Daddy @ Mar 30 2009, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

A few bricks short of a load

Not playing with a full deck

The gas tank&#39;s on empty

Elevator doesn&#39;t reach the top floor

Lights are on but nobody&#39;s home

BYD[/b]
    We have many of those in England too.
    We also say "A sandwich short of a picnic." ;)

CoB

"Work like you don&#39;t need the money, love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobody is watching" Satchel Paige

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast