Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Most valuable sports franchise in the world

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ansley Ayers @ Mar 26 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Camille are you going to go back to Boston with a Texas drawl? :D[/b]
    Been too darn busy dodging the rattlesnakes and those things y&#39;all in Atlanta call chiggers (nail polish at the ready!) to pick up the accent :blink:

Maxx...thank you kind sir :-)

Woody...I&#39;m sure you are a fountain of information on other fun topics;)

My god...the sun has FINALLY come out!!!

"Work like you don&#39;t need the money, love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobody is watching" Satchel Paige

" Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away" anonymous

Verified Companion Companion Ansley Ayers's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camille @ Mar 26 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Been too darn busy dodging the rattlesnakes and those things y&#39;all in Atlanta call chiggers (nail polish at the ready!) to pick up the accent :blink:[/b]
    Will somebody please take this girl out to the hill country so she will know what she is talking about. :D
    <span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">~Ansley~</span>
    There is a fine line between having a good time and being a wanton slut. I know. My toe has been on that line.

Doubt I would have gotten the Patriots; my next guesses would have been NYG or Arsenal or Real Madrid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (discreetgent @ Mar 26 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Doubt I would have gotten the Patriots; my next guesses would have been NYG or Arsenal or Real Madrid[/b]
    They would have been pretty good estimates either way DG ;)

"Work like you don&#39;t need the money, love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobody is watching" Satchel Paige

" Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away" anonymous

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camille @ Mar 26 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Been too darn busy dodging the rattlesnakes and those things y&#39;all in Atlanta call chiggers (nail polish at the ready!) to pick up the accent :blink:[/b]
    They must have been in the planter at the mall. I think she is leaving just in time to miss the no-see-&#39;em infestation. :D

And Camille, yes the Texans are a fairly new team. But when the NFL awarded the franchise...the cost to the new owner was $500 million. And once he paid that he just had a piece of paper. No team yet...no coach...no stadium deal...no facilities...no nothing. Just a piece of paper that said he had the franchise. So, he may be doing all right with his investment...but he has a pretty penny in it.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Mar 27 2009, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    They must have been in the planter at the mall. I think she is leaving just in time to miss the no-see-&#39;em infestation. :D

And Camille, yes the Texans are a fairly new team. But when the NFL awarded the franchise...the cost to the new owner was $500 million. And once he paid that he just had a piece of paper. No team yet...no coach...no stadium deal...no facilities...no nothing. Just a piece of paper that said he had the franchise. So, he may be doing all right with his investment...but he has a pretty penny in it.[/b]

I think it was 700 mil but who&#39;s counting. lol Now he may have just had a piece of paper but his revenue streams for that piece of paper were/are sizeable. I&#39;m not commenting on the good or bad of the public policy of the county&#39;s investment in the venture. I&#39;m just saying it is similiar to what is refered in the news now-a-days as a stimulis package.....

George Steinbrenner paid around $10 million for the Yankees. Not bad, not bad at all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (discreetgent @ Mar 27 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    George Steinbrenner paid around $10 million for the Yankees. Not bad, not bad at all.[/b]
    Well the difference is all the money the City of NY has had to pump into the team in the form of stadium subsidies and cable franchises.

Hobby Addict
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pjorourke @ Mar 27 2009, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Well the difference is all the money the City of NY has had to pump into the team in the form of stadium subsidies and cable franchises.[/b]
    In general I am not supportive of taxpayer funded stadiums.

That said I give these leagues (and owners) a lot of credit for carefully managing supply (of fanchises) so they are worth something. No one is putting a city or county to build these stadiums.

Also contrast the affection fans/customers have for their team with the discussion of airlines (in another thread) and the way their customers feel about them.

I loathe the Yankees, but getting them back to the WS wins in 77-78, playoff contenders for parts of the 80s and then of course WS 4 of 5 years hasn&#39;t hurt. I think the cable network was a self-venture, not sure (I could be wrong) NYC was involved at all - though NYC did mediate with TimeWarner and Cablevision when YES went on the air.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Mar 27 2009, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    They must have been in the planter at the mall. I think she is leaving just in time to miss the no-see-&#39;em infestation. :D[/b]
    Yes those planters are lethal RK :huh:
    Rattlesnakes in one, a gator chasing a dog in another and an infestation of no-see-ums. Who&#39;d a thunk it?
    Not sure which name I like more...chiggers or no-see-ums lol.
    We are boring in MA...we just get mozzies.
    On the upside it&#39;s actually warm(ish) and sunny here today...after arriving back to 41F yesterday afternoon. Brrrrrrrr!

C

Aggieland - But here and there also, ASPD Member since 2000
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camille @ Mar 28 2009, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Yes those planters are lethal RK :huh:
    Rattlesnakes in one, a gator chasing a dog in another[/b]

Gator? wrong state Camille.... :D....were you in East Texas too, you know we call that Louisiana...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woody of TX @ Mar 28 2009, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Gator? wrong state Camille.... :D....were you in East Texas too, you know we call that Louisiana...[/b]
    Ahh Woodster. You don&#39;t have to go very far east to get some gators. I&#39;ve seen &#39;em as close as 60 miles SSE from the Big D....actually they are quite common there...and I hear tell the Trinity River has plenty of them.

But me-thinks she was referring to a specific story that a terrific story teller was telling. :D

Why aren&#39;t you out shooting guns BTW?

Verified Companion Companion Ansley Ayers's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Mar 28 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Why aren&#39;t you out shooting guns BTW?[/b]
    Guns? You better start getting your stories straight Woody.
    <span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">~Ansley~</span>
    There is a fine line between having a good time and being a wanton slut. I know. My toe has been on that line.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ansley Ayers @ Mar 28 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Guns? You better start getting your stories straight Woody. [/b]
    Ahhh my dear. You can shoot guns there too. It&#39;s called a range. :D

I would never give him up on his cover story. :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast