Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: If someone asks you for the truth...do you give it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camille @ Mar 30 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I&#39;m so sorry that happened to your friend.
    I understand the devastation because simply put, it destroys your faith in basic humanity.[/b]
    Truth be told... it was probably wrong of me to put her business in the street like I just did but I thought you&#39;d understand. That&#39;s why I said it.

Once upon a time... she was one of the most lovely & vivacious human beings I&#39;ve ever meet. Drop dead beautiful. Athletic, smart, confident. A man could absolutely lose himself in her eyes. When I saw her afterward, the experience just completely took the light out of her her eyes. Like running into someone who had become a drug addict. I don&#39;t think I needed it but the expereince was a devastating - yet effective!! - reminder never to play games with the feelings & lives of others.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camille @ Mar 30 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Wow, I was done with this thread but I felt so badly for your friend Sis.
    Manipulation is a form of bullying. Inside every bully is a coward. I feel for her. I bet the said man didnt struggle getting his life back on track for as long as your friend did....very very sad :([/b]
    Sorry! Nothing worse than kicking the dead horse when the rider has moved on. I don&#39;t disagree. A VERY GOOD friend has put me in mind of my father recently. He used to say,

"For every 10 guys that SAY, &#39;I&#39;m gonna kick your ass!&#39;
    One guy actually has the nerve to try
    For every 10 guys that have the nerve to try
    One guy actually has the talent to do so."

Now, his point was that you really didn&#39;t have much to be afraid of in a confrontation. But,

In light of what you just said, my take on it is that I&#39;m not afraid of ANYONE who has to TELL me what he&#39;s gonna do to me...
    I could just *kiss* your promiscuous mind

I don't keep a lot of secrets
    The ones I do will die with me
    It's not because I'm hiding something
    A trusted friend I try to be

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    You two a scaring me....I&#39;m starting to feel like a heartless bastard. Joking around all the damn time with such misery in the world.

Momma:Damnit WTF eat all on your plate there&#39;s kids starving.

Lil wtf: Let&#39;em have the rest of this before I throw it away.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTF @ Mar 30 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    You two a scaring me....I&#39;m starting to feel like a heartless bastard. Joking around all the damn time with such misery in the world.

Lil wtf: Let&#39;em have the rest of this before I throw it away.[/b]
    Not as much as you are scaring me with all these conversations you keep having with yourself :P

"Work like you don&#39;t need the money, love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobody is watching" Satchel Paige

" Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away" anonymous

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTF @ Mar 30 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Lil wtf: Let&#39;em have the rest of this before I throw it away.[/b]
    Breathe, son, breathe! Not EVERYTHING is about YOU!!! :P

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sisyphus @ Mar 30 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    A VERY GOOD friend has put me in mind of my father recently. He used to say,

"For every 10 guys that SAY, &#39;I&#39;m gonna kick your ass!&#39;
    One guy actually has the nerve to try
    For every 10 guys that have the nerve to try
    One guy actually has the talent to do so."

Now, his point was that you really didn&#39;t have much to be afraid of in a confrontation. But,

In light of what you just said, my take on it is that I&#39;m not afraid of ANYONE who has to TELL me what he&#39;s gonna do to me...[/b]
    Interesting. I agree with what your Pop proffered.

When I was a kid growing up it seems like we fought a lot more than my kids did growing up. When my boys were in high school I&#39;d hear them say they were going to whup somebody&#39;s ass about something. I used to ask them, "Have you ever really been in a fight? I mean a real fight...fist-t-cuffs...swinging to take their head off fight?" They would look at me and say "no". I&#39;d tell &#39;em that they need to get in a couple. Then they would learn that even if you win a fight, you very seldom come out of it unscathed. And they are no fun. And the thrill of victory is not near as great as the pain of nursing those wounds. There, of course, is a time to fight. But when it is upon you, you don&#39;t need to talk about it...you walk right up to them and smack them in the nose...and then get ready.

I don&#39;t know if they took what I said to heart...but they didn&#39;t really get into many fights...if any.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camille @ Mar 30 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Not as much as you are scaring me with all these conversations you keep having with yourself :P[/b]
    Camille I wrote these lyric&#39;s for Mellencamp in a song titled &#39;Rumbleseat&#39;. I&#39;m always talking to myself.

Well I could have a nervous breakdown
    But I don&#39;t believe in shrinks
    I should be drunker than a monkey
    But I don&#39;t like to drink
    Call up some girls
    But I&#39;m afraid of the phone
    I&#39;m always talkin&#39; to myself
    I guess I&#39;m never alone

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sisyphus @ Mar 31 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Breathe, son, breathe! Not EVERYTHING is about YOU!!! :P[/b]
    You ever played the game....Six degree&#39;s of WTF? :D

GneissGuy,

You are hilarious. I completely agree with your response.

As a publicist professionally, I&#39;m paid to spin the truth when it hurts. I think truth is important, but the way you present it is just as important. Anyone can handle rejection or disappointment if it is stated with a positive note. I appreciate truthiness in my life and judge friends on how honest they are with me.

So. Do I tell the truth? Of course. Do I spin it sometimes? Of course.

Hope this note finds everyone well!

Besos,

Audra Baron

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Mar 31 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Interesting. I agree with what your Pop proffered.

When I was a kid growing up it seems like we fought a lot more than my kids did growing up. When my boys were in high school I&#39;d hear them say they were going to whup somebody&#39;s ass about something. I used to ask them, "Have you ever really been in a fight? I mean a real fight...fist-t-cuffs...swinging to take their head off fight?" They would look at me and say "no". I&#39;d tell &#39;em that they need to get in a couple. Then they would learn that even if you win a fight, you very seldom come out of it unscathed. And they are no fun. And the thrill of victory is not near as great as the pain of nursing those wounds. There, of course, is a time to fight. But when it is upon you, you don&#39;t need to talk about it...you walk right up to them and smack them in the nose...and then get ready.

I don&#39;t know if they took what I said to heart...but they didn&#39;t really get into many fights...if any.[/b]
    It&#39;s a different world, RK, then when we were coming up. Back in the day, you duked it out & that was pretty much the end of it. It wasn&#39;t unusual for those you threw down with to end up becoming your best friends... probably because you knew from jump exactly how far you could push each other before it got ugly.

Our kids are growing up in a world where damn near everybody they run into is strapped.

I&#39;ve had to add that as a corollary to Pop&#39;s rules. As in,

"FIRST, figure out if the guy running his mouth is packing. If he is... take the loss. A good run is better than a bad stand any day!! If not, THEN.... for every 10 guys...."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sisyphus @ Apr 3 2009, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    It&#39;s a different world, RK, then when we were coming up. Back in the day, you duked it out & that was pretty much the end of it. It wasn&#39;t unusual for those you threw down with to end up becoming your best friends... probably because you knew from jump exactly how far you could push each other before it got ugly.[/b]
    Agreed. Back in the day you seldom really worried about dying. I had to laugh about becoming friends with the oppenent...true enough. I had this one fight with this guy when I was 13 or 14. We were duking it out in the parking lot of the school. The coach caught us and took us in the gym. Made us each put on 16 oz gloves and continue duking it out.

Try boxing with 16 oz gloves. If you could last a 3 minute round at that age you were better than I. In just a couple of minutes, neither one of us cared about what we had been fighting about. We just wanted to get those gloves off and get out of that gym. He made us continue fighting for about 15 minutes to seal that thought in our heads.

We did become best buds after that...lol.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Apr 3 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Try boxing with 16 oz gloves. If you could last a 3 minute round at that age you were better than I.[/b]
    I have! It&#39;s akin to filling a "socker bopper" with water....

My Dad boxed in the Army... was pretty good. We always had a gym (speed bag, heavy bag, small ring) in the basement everywhere we lived... he taught my brothers & I.

If 3 minutes with 16 oz gloves isn&#39;t uncomfortable enough for you.... Try fighting somebody who&#39;s stronger AND faster than you in a 8 ft ring. It&#39;s the very definition of,

"Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide..."

But, it does WONDERS for improving your defense...

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Apr 3 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    The coach caught us and took us in the gym. Made us each put on 16 oz gloves and continue duking it out.[/b]
    Sounds like a coach I had in High school, he used to do the same thing only when everyone went to hit the showers he would send the 2 opponents into the gym. We&#39;s all run in the shower, get wet and run to the gym pulling our clothes on as we went just to catch the last of the action, usually there were 4 arms hanging to the waist and each guy struggling to throw a punch!! ;)
    "It's all in how you treat the lady as to the response you get!!"

Hobby Addict
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Apr 3 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Agreed. Back in the day you seldom really worried about dying. I had to laugh about becoming friends with the oppenent...true enough. I had this one fight with this guy when I was 13 or 14. We were duking it out in the parking lot of the school. The coach caught us and took us in the gym. Made us each put on 16 oz gloves and continue duking it out.

Try boxing with 16 oz gloves. If you could last a 3 minute round at that age you were better than I. In just a couple of minutes, neither one of us cared about what we had been fighting about. We just wanted to get those gloves off and get out of that gym. He made us continue fighting for about 15 minutes to seal that thought in our heads.

We did become best buds after that...lol.[/b]
    Didn&#39;t some principal (I think in Texas) get in trouble for doing this recently? How times have changed

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (atlcomedy @ Apr 3 2009, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Didn&#39;t some principal (I think in Texas) get in trouble for doing this recently? How times have changed[/b]
    I&#39;m in Texas and went to school here (years ago). I don&#39;t recall a recent story but with so many little towns with the ole Texas values you can "betchur booots it&#39;sa stilla happinin&#39; ya&#39;ll" ;)
    "It's all in how you treat the lady as to the response you get!!"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (atlcomedy @ Apr 3 2009, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Didn&#39;t some principal (I think in Texas) get in trouble for doing this recently? How times have changed[/b]
    Well kinda. The coach here recently was putting the kids in a ring with "bare fisted, no holds barred" fighting. Not exactly like a 16 oz glove. It is pretty hard to do much damage with heavy gloves like that.

But the times have changed.

Hobby Addict
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Apr 3 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Well kinda. The coach here recently was putting the kids in a ring with "bare fisted, no holds barred" fighting. Not exactly like a 16 oz glove. It is pretty hard to do much damage with heavy gloves like that.

But the times have changed.[/b]
    I think that is what I was referring to. Made headlines a couple weeks ago. I had forgotten the barefisted part. Very different than the 16oz gloves

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6