Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HUMAN SEXUAL CONDITION: PROGRAMMED FOR POLYGAMY

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (discreetgent @ Mar 29 2009, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    If you go through the relevant section in the bible, a man&#39;s marital status is irrelevant. Adultery is only if the woman is married.

(Leviticus 20:10, Deuteronomy 22:22)[/b]
    Well without doing all that how about I just reword.

"Or screw a married WOman or sacrifice your life?"

Sounds kinda sexist to me...Does that include women in long term relationships that are considered married in a legal sense in that were they to break up and have to go to court and divide assets it would be done as if they had been married?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTF @ Mar 29 2009, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Sounds kinda sexist to me...[/b]
    An ancient world religion... sexist? Say it ain&#39;t so!

I agree with Lauren.
    Besos,

Audra Baron

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Audra Baron @ Mar 29 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I agree with Lauren.[/b]
    I agree with Lauren but then I would. I&#39;m a Humanist.

How do you feel about death before having sex with a &#39;Married &#39; woman? lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTF @ Mar 29 2009, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

"Or screw a married WOman or sacrifice your life?"

Sounds kinda sexist to me...Does that include women in long term relationships that are considered married in a legal sense in that were they to break up and have to go to court and divide assets it would be done as if they had been married?[/b]
    No, legally married, no such concept as common law marriage - I mean that would - HORRORS - have meant sex outside of a sanctioned relationship and we simply can&#39;t have that going on

Heh, want to talk about sexist? When a couple divorced the wife only received a pre-determined portion as detailed in the Ketubah (among other things think of it as a pre-nup). Technically speaking the wife had no assets, all belonged to her husband. If the woman was widowed she would get the pre-determined sum from the estate and there was also an obligation for her sons to support her. The only time a woman could inherit was if there were only daughters.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (discreetgent @ Mar 30 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    No, legally married, no such concept as common law marriage - I mean that would - HORRORS - have meant sex outside of a sanctioned relationship and we simply can&#39;t have that going on

Heh, want to talk about sexist? When a couple divorced the wife only received a pre-determined portion as detailed in the Ketubah (among other things think of it as a pre-nup). Technically speaking the wife had no assets, all belonged to her husband. If the woman was widowed she would get the pre-determined sum from the estate and there was also an obligation for her sons to support her. The only time a woman could inherit was if there were only daughters.[/b]

Well in that case I guess it&#39;s time to start my Orthodox conversion..... lol

Don&#39;t you think that religion is also heavily skewed by the culture within which you live?
    I think in general, certain parts of Europe are much more liberal about sex and living "in sin" than the US regardless of their religion.
    I&#39;m not saying it&#39;s right...I&#39;m just asking the question about culture.
    My mum (who would be considered very British and a WASP) would be mortified if any of us (3 gals) married without first living together or god forbid, married without having sex with future hubby first. Seriously she would. She&#39;s pretty involved with her church but not blinded by religion. She takes from it what she can relate to and doesnt stress about the rest. I think she would quickly point of the ignorance and naive approach of such an action (marriage without sex and co-habiting).
    I don&#39;t think she is unusual in her way of thinking either.
    I have catholic friends whose parents are well aware that they are having sex outside of marriage, use contraception and a couple whose mothers know they have had a termination and support them. I think they look at lifestyle first and make religion accomodate that....in other words, religion not their primary driver and they don&#39;t allow it to make them feel guilty about their life. By stark contrast, that sort of behavior would not be going on a few short miles away amongst catholics in Ireland.....

"Work like you don&#39;t need the money, love like you have never been hurt and dance like nobody is watching" Satchel Paige

" Life is not about the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away" anonymous

It appears to me that the western culture allocates a lot more belief that the success of marriage relies on compatibility...where the eastern culture still seems to rely more on duty. I have an India guy who works for me who has an arranged marriage that he is quite happy in...a pretty much unheard of thing in the western culture.

I&#39;m not sure where all that fits in the religious aspect...but my thought would be that duty springs more from religious beliefs and compatability more from the secular world.

Hobby Addict
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camille @ Mar 30 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Don&#39;t you think that religion is also heavily skewed by the culture within which you live?
    I think in general, certain parts of Europe are much more liberal about sex and living "in sin" than the US regardless of their religion.
    I&#39;m not saying it&#39;s right...I&#39;m just asking the question about culture.
    My mum (who would be considered very British and a WASP) would be mortified if any of us (3 gals) married without first living together or god forbid, married without having sex with future hubby first. Seriously she would. She&#39;s pretty involved with her church but not blinded by religion. She takes from it what she can relate to and doesnt stress about the rest. I think she would quickly point of the ignorance and naive approach of such an action (marriage without sex and co-habiting).
    I don&#39;t think she is unusual in her way of thinking either.
    I have catholic friends whose parents are well aware that they are having sex outside of marriage, use contraception and a couple whose mothers know they have had a termination and support them. I think they look at lifestyle first and make religion accomodate that....in other words, religion not their primary driver and they don&#39;t allow it to make them feel guilty about their life. By stark contrast, that sort of behavior would not be going on a few short miles away amongst catholics in Ireland.....[/b]
    I think mothers (and fathers) love their children more than their religion and will support them even if they don&#39;t agree with the choices they make.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudyard K @ Mar 30 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    It appears to me that the western culture allocates a lot more belief that the success of marriage relies on compatibility...where the eastern culture still seems to rely more on duty. I have an India guy who works for me who has an arranged marriage that he is quite happy in...a pretty much unheard of thing in the western culture.

I&#39;m not sure where all that fits in the religious aspect...but my thought would be that duty springs more from religious beliefs and compatability more from the secular world.[/b]
    I&#39;ve never really understood arranged marriage and agree there seems to be a sense of duty (e.g. stay married, don&#39;t leave). I will say the few couples the are products of arranged marriage I know seem to have much less intimacy (physical & emotional) than other couples.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (discreetgent @ Mar 28 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Quick explanation for "Yeihareig ve&#39;al ya&#39;avor" which I will guess most folks reading this thread are unfamiliar with. The literal meaning of the phrase is to give up ones life and not break a prohibition. In Judaism an overriding concept is that a life that is at risk trumps everything. That means, one can violate various prohibitions such as sabbath, even yom kippur if it is to save a life. However, there are three prohibitions - adultery, idol worship, murder - which are the only ones that one should give up their life -- that is if someone says worship the idol or I will kill you, you sacrifice your life; or kill this person or I will kill you sacrifice your life.[/b]

Just heard this same explanation watching "the Lucky Slevin" Ben Kingsley got the line.

Just like Judaism, most of the worlds major religions actually have the same principles in banning murder and adultry. To me, as long as I live a good life on Earth with loving intentions and acts, I feel like if ever a judgement day come I&#39;ll have a really good alibi for me to slide through the doors of eternal happiness.
    --Sitara Devi
    For photos and more info please visit: www.sitaradevi.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2